We currently have no Staff Openings, but please watch this page for future opportunities at the start of 2022.
The New England Legal Foundation is a not-for-profit public interest law firm devoted to free enterprise, balanced economic growth and the right to rational, responsive, and properly limited government. The goals of NELF’s Law Student Internship Program are:
- To educate law students in public interest law from a free enterprise perspective, with a focus on environmental regulation, employment law, corporate and individual rights, fees, taxes, and regulated industries;
- To provide law students with exposure to the private legal community, to provide them with legal work experience, to increase their knowledge of the law, and to build their professional confidence;
- To provide law students with experience in working for a not-for-profit public interest law firm which, in turn, exposes them to law firm operations and client and constituent interactions; and
- To increase NELF’s capacity while developing the interns’ research and writing skills.
While each intern’s experience is unique, activities in which law student interns have participated in the past have included:
- Researching statutes, regulations, cases and other legal material relevant to issues and cases which NELF is addressing; writing internal memoranda of law summarizing that research;
- Drafting pleadings and appellate and trial court memoranda and briefs;
- Working on general litigation activities including discovery and court proceedings;
- Doing legal and other research in connection with seminar and publication topics; and
- Attending meetings relevant to the issues and cases on which the intern is working.
- Law student interns will be selected by NELF attorneys. The positions are unpaid.
Applicants in their second or third year of law school are preferred, although NELF will consider exceptional first-year students.
Students who are interested in applying for an internship at NELF should send a resume, law school transcript, short writing sample, and brief cover letter to:
Daniel B. Winslow
New England Legal Foundation
333 Washington Street, Suite 850
Boston, MA 02108